How do I get access to free student credits with Microsoft Azure?
Microsoft Azure is a virtual server platform service. Students are allowed to access certain features of Microsoft Azure at no cost. For more information about Microsoft Azure benefits through Microsoft Imagine, please visit Azure for Microsoft Imagine .
In addition to Azure credits, Microsoft tools for Azure development are available from the Imagine web store for qualifying students. For more information, please see this article: Microsoft Imagine
You do not need to log into the Imagine web store to gain access to Microsoft Azure. To access the Azure platform, you need to create and validate a Microsoft account using your student email, and then login into Azure with that new Microsoft account.
To obtain access to Microsoft Azure, you must have an @alumni.ubc.ca email account because it will be used to validate your student status. @alumni.ubc.ca email accounts are available via the Student and Alumni Email service.
When in doubt, follow the prompts and use your judgement. Microsoft may change their website at any time. We hope these instructions are general enough to be helpful and also broad enough for small changes in the process that are made by Microsoft that we cannot account for.
Creating a Microsoft Account
- Go to http://accounts.microsoft.com
- Click on Create Account
- Enter your existing @alumni.ubc.ca email address
- Enter a new password and follow the rest of the prompts to complete creating your new Microsoft account
Sign up for Microsoft Imagine with your Microsoft Account
- Go to https://imagine.microsoft.com
- Log in with your new Microsoft account
- Click on Account
- Provide your information as prompted
- Verify your student status with your @alumni.ubc.ca email address
- On the main page of the Microsoft Imagine website from the previous page, look for Activate Azure and click on it. The link is also available via the page Azure for Microsoft Imagine (click on Register now)
- Follow prompts to activate your Azure account (may require a phone number to text or call for validation purposes).