How do I use Zoom to record an instructional video?
Teaching a class and needing a simple way to pre-record an instructional video? Here's how to do that with Zoom right on your own laptop:
- Prepare any slides or other presentation material you will use.
- Login to your UBC Zoom account (at https://ubc.zoom.us) and start a meeting by clicking on "Host a Meeting" and choosing 'with video on'
- Ensure your camera and microphone are working well.
- refer to Best Practices for Video Conferencing for tips on ensure those are set correctly
- Decide whether you want to start your video with only your camera showing, or whether you want to start with already having your presentation shared onscreen; set yourself up accordingly.
- When you are ready, click on the Record button at the bottom of your Zoom screen. Give your lesson and create your video as you desire.
- Once you have finished, click on the Stop button.
- Zoom will tell you that the video is being rendered or processed.
- Once that is complete, a folder will open showing several different files; one of those will be the .mp4 recording of your instructional video, which you can upload to a web platform to share as you desire.