How do I reduce my Fasmail Mailbox size using the Windows version of Outlook?
Following these instructions will allow you to reduce your Mailbox size, by deleting items or archiving email.
To use these instructions to reduce your Fasmail mailbox size you must be:
- Running Windows XP, Windows 7, or Windows 8
- Using Outlook as your mail client.
- Have cached exchange mode turned on for outlook.
- Open Outlook
- Go to your File Menu
- Choose "Cleanup Tools" from the middle frame menu.
- Choose the bottom most of the three options "Archive"
- The Archive menu will pop up. Confirm that the radio button for "Archive this folder and all subfolders" is checked, and select the very top of the outlook email structure tree (your email address) in the frame below.
- Select the date you wish to archive backwards from on the "archive items older than" selector.
- Check the box for "Include items with do not archive checked" if desired
- Confirm the file name and save path in the "Archive File" Field. The file should be named something recognizable, but should end with .pst
- The archived mail will be saved to the indicated location. For safety of data, if this is a local hard drive, you should copy the .pst file that has been created to a network location such as your F:
- The archived email will show up in your Outlook as its own structure underneath your existing email folder structure. By default it will be called Archive. If you wish to you can change this name (for instance, to differentiate it from other archives.)
- Right click on the word archive.
- Select "Data File Properties" at the bottom of the pop up menu.
- Select the "Advanced Button" and fill in the desired name in the name field.