Workday Hire Overview With IT Accounts
This document is intended as informational only and may not reflect the true environment in 100% detail. Updates and changes happen all the time so this information is as of end of January 2021.
UBC Employeewith Workday and IT Account Integration
The Workday hire process and IT Accounts are tied together in many ways. In order to reduce any complications and provide a smooth onboarding experience for a new hire there are a number of steps that can be taken and reviewed.
This is a high level explanation of steps taken with some tips and tricks to make the IT Account portion for a new hire smoother.
Your department decides to hire a new position what happens at this stage. Best information I found for Workday can be found here - https://ubc.service-now.com/selfservice?sys_kb_id=c57afdbc1bd964101cfdeac3b24bcbed&id=kb_article_view&sysparm_rank=8&sysparm_tsqueryId=924ec7641b02ac1024c255b62a4bcba6.
Some suggestions during the actual hire to make the onboarding process smoother.
- If your new hire is known find out if they had an existing CWL account with UBC. If you refer somebody to the recruitment page highlight the fact that during the recruitment phase a CWL account can be entered if known.
- Both the external email address and the Dedupe Identity items in the Workday hire process are very important to the IT account creation. The external email address is used to send the new hire the initial Workday sign in information as well as the CWL Simple Sign Up email (new hire only).
CWL Simple Sign Up info - https://it.ubc.ca/sites/it.ubc.ca/files/Simplified%20Sign%20Up%20demo.mp4
Workday Dedupe - https://blogs.ubc.ca/ubcworkdayjobaids/archives/23909
At the time of this writing the external email address is not mandatory and if missed during the Workday hire will cause a number of issues. Although, this field in Workday cannot be made mandatory there is a work around being developed to ensure that this field is not missed during the WD hire process.
Currently there is no EarlyID process in Workday. We believe this is being looked into but if your department used this method a lot you should be relaying that information back to the Workday teams. Please do not create a "basic" CWL or "guest" CWL to get around the Workday hire. This will generally break the automation process in the Workday Hire and your new employee will not be onboarded with IT accounts smoothly.
Known Issues around External email:
- External email not used. No emails will get sent to new hire. This means the new hire will not receive information to log into Workday, nor will they receive the CWL SSUP email to create their CWL account. IT cannot help at this stage as the CWL account hasn't been fully created. We are looking into the best team to approach in this situation.
- External email was previously used to create a CWL account. This could have been used for a basic/guest CWL creation, or a previous unknown appointment. The Workday email will get sent to the user but the CWL account process does not complete. In this situation as the CWL account already existed the new hire identity does not get tied to existing account. Create a ticket for IT as UBCIT will need to merge the accounts together.
- External account used properly but new hire says they didn't receive. The CWL sign up email can go into new hire's junk/spam mail folder. Have the user check there. Also, the CWL SSUP email link only lasts 72 hours. If the new hire is still having issues have them call our service desk at 250-807-9000 or submit a request on their behalf for IT to help troubleshoot.
Known Issues around Workday Dedupe process:
- New hire has an existing CWL account but hiring admin does not select identity in this step. The system will create a second identity and IT will need to merge the accounts together. Create a ticket for this to happen. This is the top issue currently occurring with student hires. The hiring admin must know the existing CWL account to avoid issues.
- Existing hire has multiple CWL's and incorrect one is selected in Dedupe phase. EmpID gets tied to CWL that wasn't the primary. Employee can still use CWL account that has empID attached for all functions. Can contact IT to have CWL's merged together into a single account with username preferred.
- To note the current WD dedupe process does not recognize identity's from basic or guest CWL accounts, only employee and student CWL accounts will show in this process.
- Student Employee hires. Unless the student had a previous existing employment prior to Workday the current system is not automatically affiliating the employee ID to the students CWL account. The only way to fix this is to have the student call our service desk at 250-807-9000 or submit a bulk ticket request with all of your student hires for verification. This is now a known issue with Workday and resolutions are currently being looked into to resolve.
Workday Hire Completes What is the Next Step of Onboarding with IT?
Submit a ticket with UBCO IT:
Okanagan Onboarding Requests
- Go to https://ubc.service-now.com/selfservice
- Request a Service
- Accounts & Access
- Okanagan – Employee IT Onboarding
Trouble Shooting IT Account Related Issues
User reports that they cannot log into FASmail, Canvas, Workday or other CWL authenticated systems.
- Verify correct CWL is being used and that they can log into https://myaccount.ubc.ca/
- If that works test that the user can log into FASmail at https://mail.ubc.ca/ with the same account infomation used on myAccount. If the user can log in here it means that they are using an employee enabled CWL account and the CWL account works. If the user is unable to log into FASmail it could mean that the employee onboarding has not finished (24-48 hours from Workday hire process completion), or that the employee ID did not get tied to the CWL account (most common for student hires). Have user call the IT Service Desk at 250-807-9000 or submit a ticket in IT ticketing system - https://ubc.service-now.com/selfservice.
- Access to FASmail, Canvas, and Workday all require that the employee ID be tied to the CWL account, among other identity ID's. For any issues on the CWL onboarding have user call the IT Service Desk at 250-807-9000 or submit a ticket in IT ticketing system - https://ubc.service-now.com/selfservice.
- Faculty/TA has issue with Zoom within Canvas. The mail email alias for Zoom must match what is used in Canvas. Canvas allows any email address to be used. Zoom requires a particular sign up email of @ubc.ca, @mail.ubc.ca and @student.ubc.ca